Thursday, April 22, 2010

Firehouse Subs - Smokehouse Beef and Cheddar Brisket Sub


New Sub Place!

So I guess there a new sub shop in town. Firehouse subs. Apparently its a chain, but its the first one in Illinois. This one happens to be in Danada Square West in Wheaton. It appeared to be there first days open. They had 12+ employees and 2 customers. As I walked in, everyone working at the time shouted in unison.WELCOME TO FIREHOUSE. I almost walked out, but i was hungry intrigued by the menu. I really cant stand when restaurants do that, I think its cheesy, and not in a good way. A simple hello will do. I scanned the menu. I decided to go with the Smokehouse Beef and Cheddar Brisket Sub combo. This sub is served hot with beef brisket, Cheddar cheese, mayo and deli mustard on a hoggie roll. It was about 9 inches long. I took it back to work to eat it there and when I dug in, all I tasted was the beef, which wasn't very good. It was kinda dry and had an odd taste to it. Super thin cut as well. I then realized they barley put any cheese on it. I had a hard time tasting any mayo or deli mustard either. I open it up and sure enough, there was hardly anything but beef. I am wondering if they made it incorrectly. I cannot say for sure. I would like to try this place again once they have been open a bit longer. As for now, not a good sub at all. I was kinda glad when it was gone. The total price for the combo was $7.88 which included chips and a drink. The sub alone was $5.89. A bit more than Jimmy John medium sized sub, but you do get it hot.

Menu Master Rating
Item reviewed - Smokehouse Beef and Cheddar Brisket Sub
Taste - 3.2 (beef was no good, very little topping added)
Value - 4.2 (no toppings, no good)
Total - 3.7

2 comments:

  1. DOUBLE DOWN, DOUBLE DOWN, DOUBLE DOWN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently you are not going to get any rest until you eat the Double Down. I will be honest that I have not gone to Firehouse Subs because of your experience there. I will say that I am not a fan of mayo on hot sandwiches. It always makes me think that there somehow the mayo will get cooked. Cooked mayo does not appeal to me at all.

    ReplyDelete